shared libraries

Hi,

Just wondering if there's a reason that GSL doesn't build and install as a set
of shared libraries.  I perused the gsl-discuss mailing list archive and didn't
see much on the topic, so I'm assuming it's just that nobody has had a chance to
look into it yet.  I took a crack at modifying the various Makefile.am's and
building and installing shared libraries; as far as I can tell, things are
working fine.  Here's the recipe I followed:

% cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@sourceware.cygnus.com:/cvs/gsl checkout gsl
% cd gsl
% patch configure.in <<EOF
20,21c20,21
< AC_PROG_RANLIB
< #AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
---
> #AC_PROG_RANLIB
> AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
EOF
% find . -name Makefile.am -exec perl -pi.bak -e 's/_LIBRARIES/_LTLIBRARIES/g;
s/_a_/_la_/g; s/\.a/.la/g;' {} \;
% libtoolize --version
libtoolize (GNU libtool) 1.3a
% libtoolize --force
% cp /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 acinclude.m4
% aclocal --version
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.4a

Written by Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com>
% aclocal
% cd ..
% mkdir gsl-build
% gsl-build
% ../gsl/autogen.sh

If it'd be preferable, I'd be happy to include a set of diffs instead of this
recipe.

Cheers,
Dave

--
David Morrison  Brookhaven National Laboratory  phone: 516-344-5840
                Physics Department, Bldg 510 C    fax: 516-344-3253