Re: gsl-0.41 and SparcWorks C

I'm glad you got the automake stuff sorted out.  I just did a tiny
update to the web page mentioning that you need extra packages to use
anonymous CVS.

    >>  This kind of feedback is good: nowadays so many people just
    >> use gcc that they get accustomed to its extensions.

    Bernd> SparcWorks optimizes much better on Sparcs (at least for
    Bernd> CPU-intensive programs .....)

I can imagine that being true, but I wonder if it's still true with
the new optimizations that have come in with egcs.  I'm sure the egcs
lists have discussion of that :-)

    Bernd> Another minor issue is : The compiler gives a warning about
    Bernd> =

    Bernd> "end-of-loop code not reached" on every GSL_ERROR
    Bernd> statement. Apparently it detects the "return" in the
    Bernd> do-while loop and does not check that while(0) does not
    Bernd> yield any code (hopefully :-).

That's a pity that you get a warning: the do { ... } while (0); is a
trick used in assertion macros in several major pieces of software.