Re: No libgsl.a in version 0.5 under OSF1

Jarle Brinchmann writes:
 > I have successfully built and tested GSL v0.5 (modulo known problems)
 > under OSF1 v4.0. The only problem outstanding is however that libgsl.a
 > is _not_ built. Is this a known problem with v0.5, or is there
 > something special I have to do to build this file?

We dropped the final libgsl.a stage in the current release. We weren't
very happy with it, due to it being a horrendous shell-script hack --
it had to be kept up to date (I always forgot to do that) and it
wasn't clear to me whether it was compatible with libtool.

We are looking for a good way to build a single .a file. Preferably
one which works with libtool.  It would be nice if this case was
handled by Automake.  Any ideas welcome. If not, we'll go back to the
old method in the next release. In the meantime if you need the script
it should be in CVS.

 > You might also be interested in the reason for my use of GSL: There is
 > an interface to (parts of) GSL for the Perl Data Language (PDL -
 > pdl.perl.org) written by Christian Pellegrin <chri@infis.univ.ts.it>.
 > At the moment the emphasis is on the random number generators, but
 > this might be extended in the future as GSL seems very well suited for
 > the PDL project.

Thanks. Keep us posted on any developments. We could add a note in the
README file of related work.