Re: broken after libtoolswitch on

Hi,

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Brian Gough wrote:

> The multilib example is interesting, and works for me. I tried to do
> the same [ ... ]

> with SUBLIBS = blas/libgslblas.a blas/libgslblasnative.a ... but I got
> the same error,
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/bjg/gsl'
> /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2  -o libgsl.la -rpath /usr/local/lib  version.lo blas/libgslblas.la blas/libgslblasnative.la block/libgslblock.la dht/libgsldht.la eigen/libgsleigen.la err/libgslerr.la err/libgsltest.la fft/libgslfft.la histogram/libgslhistogram.la ieee-utils/libgslieeeutils.la integration/libgslintegration.la interpolation/libgslinterpolation.la linalg/libgsllinalg.la matrix/libgslmatrix.la min/libgslmin.la monte/libgslmonte.la multimin/libgslmultimin.la multiroots/libgslmultiroots.la ode-initval/libgslodeiv.la poly/libgslpoly.la randist/libgslrandist.la rng/libgslrng.la roots/libgslroots.la siman/libgslsiman.la specfunc/libgslspecfunc.la statistics/libgslstatistics.la sum/libgslsum.la sys/libgslsys.la utils/libutils.la vector/libgslvector.la -lm
> libtool: link: error: cannot link shared libraries into libtool libraries
> make[2]: *** [libgsl.la] Error 1
>
> whenever I used pkglib_LTLIBRARIES for in the subdirectory
> Makefile.am's. It would only link if they were noinst_LTLIBRARIES.
> Maybe I am doing something wrong.

No, you did right.  Dave Morrison was cheating!  ;-)

I came across the same problem you did.  Then I downloaded Dave's
multilib, which seemed to be equivalent to what I was doing.  The
Makefile.am's were the same, anyway --- pkglibs in subdirs, linked
together into a top-level library.  But Dave's multilib worked!

The difference came down to this: I was using libtool version 1.3.3, and
Dave was using a CVS snapshot of libtool.  I checked the latest "released"
libtool version (1.3.4) but it is still broken.  So this fix in libtool is
fairly recent.

It appears that if one indeed wants to install a slew of pkglibs *and* a
conglomerate libgsl, you have to move to CVS libtool.

Personally, I can't fathom a reason for installing *both* the individual
and conglomerate libraries.  Is it the library size?

At any rate, if one is satisfied with ONLY the conglomerate, then packing
a bunch of noinst_LTLIBRARIES in the subdirectories into the libgsl *is*
supported in released libtool versions.

-Steve