Re: gsl Development Query

"E. Robert Tisdale" wrote:

> Evidently, you and Brian
> each have a very different vision for the GSL.
> [...]
> Apparently, he believes that GSL users
> are amateur application programmers who want to write
> short lived disposable application programs
> like most of the programmers at LANL for example.

Actually, counting by man years of effort, most of
the "programmers at LANL" spend their lives writing
very expensive, large, and nondisposable applications.

It's fairly rude to tell other people what they do.

> Personally, I would prefer an API for the GSL that
> professional as well as amateur programmers could use.
> Professional programmers are more interested in writing
> long lived reusable application programs.

Apparently you consider yourself a "professional programmer",
whatever that is. Ok, why don't you put a little substance
behind your mouth and contribute some "professional code"
to this project? Maybe you could earn the right to
badmouth the people who have actually done something.

> I don't think that many professional programmers
> would dare risk using the GSL because, apparently,
> it isn't reasonable to expect Brian or anyone else
> to support it for very long.

I think most "professional programmers" would fail
to find their own assholes in the dark. I can't
be expected to account for their behaviour.

> Anyway, I don't think Brian is prepared to design an API.

The question at issue here is not one of API design.
The main point of this discussion is how to most efficiently
implement the functionality that is required to reach
the stated goals of the project. Don't change the
subject, and don't insult the people
who are actually doing something.

Finally, I apologize to the readers of this list
for even bothering to reply to these messages.
Perhaps doing so is simply a waste of everybody's
time. If somebody out there has something
intelligent to say about the implementation
policies for this project, please do not be
discouraged by this exchange from doing so.

--
G. Jungman