RE: GSL, VSIPL, and the ultimate numerical library

Jiri Hajek wrote:

> E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
>
> > You could implement
> > The Scalar, Vector, Matrix and Tensor class library
> >
> >       http://www.netwood.net/~edwin/svmt/
> >
> > on top of the GNU Scientific Library (GSL).
>
> I would like to do it!
> The problem is that I don't have enough time
> to maintain completely new project.
> So my question is:
> isn't there anybody else willing to do it?
> I would definitely like to contribute to such project.

You could pay to have someone else do it.

The problem is that you wouldn't be able to protect your investment
because the GSL is protected by the GPL instead of the LGPL.
You are obliged to publish your application source code
if you distribute any application program which uses the GSL.
This virtually precludes use of the GSL for commercial applications
and, consequently, any hope of generating revenue
from sales of the GSL so there is no money to support
continuing development and maintenance of the GSL.
This means that the GSL depends entirely upon the contributions
of volunteers who we expect, if they are any good,
will eventually find paying jobs and abandon the GSL.

You would probably be better off to pay someone to implement
The C++ Scalar, Vector, Matrix and Tensor class library
from scratch on top of commercial, high performance
numerical libraries -- the BLAS library, LAPACK, etc.
That way, you could copyright your SVMT source code
and leave most of the maintenance up to
reliable commercial library developers.