forwarded message from Theodoros Katsaounis

Anyone have any idea why the single shared library fails on this
platform after passing make check?

--- Begin Message ---
Brian Gough wrote:

> Theodoros Katsaounis writes:
>  > I downloaded the gsl library version 1.0 from the mirror
>  > site in UK. I followed the instructions for building the library.
>  > The build was succesuful, no errors during the make process.
>  > Then I installed the library and when I tried to use it I got
>  > the following error during linking
>  >
>  > -- Undefined                       first referenced
>  >  symbol                             in file
>  > __eprintf                           ../../../../lib/libgsl.so
>  > ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors.
>  >
>  > Any suggestions ? The build was done on a Ultra 5 Sun running
>  > solaris.
>
> Not sure what's causing that.  A few questions:
>
> -- What is the command line you're using to do the link?
> -- Does the static library libgsl.a work instead of libgsl.so?
>
> regards
> Brian

Dear Brian

The static library works!!! I used the following command line

cc -B static -o mctrs mctrs.c -L ~/lib -I ~/include -lgsl -lgslcblas -lm

while before I was using

cc -o mctrs mctrs.c -L ~/lib -I ~/include -lgsl -lgslcblas -lm

and this was giving me the above error.
Thanks for the tip!
Thodoros

Theodoros Katsaounis
Departement de mathematiques et applications (DMA)
Ecole Normale Superieure
45, rue d'Ulm
Paris cedex 05 , 75230
FRANCE