Re: GSL within Public Domain Software

On Sat, 05 May 2001, Peter Hopfgartner wrote:
> Basically, linking with a GPL library, means that you should put your
> program under a similar license as the GPL, too. You must allow access
> to the source.
>
> In your case this would be a quite natural choice, since you want to
> distribute both, source code and binaries. The GPL would protect also
> YOUR work. No other party would be allowed to distribute MODIFIED
> versions of your code without giving a link to the source code of the
> MODIFIED version.
>
> Sounds good, doesn't it?

Yes, but the problem is that our software has been distributed into the
public domain for years and we really don't want to change that aspect (even if
the government officials would let us).

In my vision of a perfect world, the GPL would say something to the affect that
GPL'd libraries may be linked with software of a "lesser", or "more free?",
copyright.  In other words, it seems like public domain software, which is
about as free as you can get, poses no threat to the GPL.

I hope I'm not misunderstood here.  In general I have nothing against the GPL.
I definitely see a need for the existence of the GPL or something similar.  It
just seems strange that a copyright meant to protect the openness of source
code denies use with public domain software.

Basically, I'm ranting because legalities are hurting my productivity! ;)

> Peter

Thanks for the response.

-- Lowell