Comments on auto* macros

Hi!

First of all, thanks to the GSL makers for including a chapter on how
to integrate GSL via autoconf/-make macros into other packages in the
documentation.  I haven't seen such service elsewhere.

But I must admit that (as an auto* layman), I am still quite confused
after reading these pages.  E.g., I just spent some half hour to find
out that the AM_PATH_GSL test has to come before the AC_LANG_CPLUSPLUS
switch, because the c++ compiler otherwise complains about an implicit
cast in line 74 of gsl.m4.  The same seems to hold for the inline
tests.  Is this ordering of tests absolutely trivial for anyone
experienced with autoconf?  If not, could you include a hint in the
documentation?

Best regards,
Hans

Dr. Hans Ekkehard Plesser             Tel.  :           +47 6494 8832
Physics Section / ITF                 Fax   :           +47 6494 8810
Agricultural University of Norway     e-mail: hans.plesser@itf.nlh.no
N-1432 Ås, Norway		      WWW   :    arken.nlh.no/~itfhep