Re: GNU Scientific Library (GSL) 0.8 is released

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 11:54:37AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> > > Sure, that works as well, is generally speaking a lot easier and doesn't
> > > require the links.
> > >
> > > But there are situations where you just want to grab just the .orig.tar.gz,
> > > .dsc and .diff.gz to recompile them locally (e.g. when the build daemons
> >
> > That's what `apt-get source' is for.
>
> Again, "sure in general" but you cut & deleted a relevant other part of my
> previous prose: this doesn't cut the mustard if you follow an older release
> (say, potato) and you deb-src points to that too. Also, I prefer not have
> deb-src entries in sources.conf as this slows "apt-get update" down.
>
> All these reasons are fine and valid, but could someone please tell me (in
> private as this is getting way off-topic for the list) exactly what harm is
> caused by adding these links?

These urls are bad because they are so american-oriented. When you point to

http://packages.debian.org/libgsl0
http://packages.debian.org/libgsl0-dev
http://packages.debian.org/gsl-ref-psdoc

you have all the info you get from the url you gave (and much more), and
you can download what you want from the nearest mirror.

Bye, Mt.