Re: gsl-0.9: bug in configure (autoconf)

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Brian Gough wrote:

> Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.
>
> One thing to be careful of when using 'strip', mentioned in the
> gsl/MACHINES file
> I don't know whether this still happens in recent versions of
> binutils.

Hi Brian,

Yes, I was aware of the remark in gsl-x.y/MACHINES and I don't know either what
the current status of this is. The proper way to fix this would certainly be
to have unique basenames for all files in the archive!

As far as I can see libtool-libraries (static or shared) are, however, never
stripped and I usually don't strip any shared objects; 'install-strip' only
applies to the two binary executables.

Another point:
can we expect a more complete info-page for the ODEs in the near future?
Currently (gsl-0.[789]) this just list the function prototypes but doesn't
say how to use them. That one has to deduce (to some extent) from their
use in the test suite.

Peter Breitenlohner <peb@mppmu.mpg.de>