disable shared libs to build on AIX, Alpha

Hi,

A few days ago I reported that building GSL 0.9 failed on AIX.
Brian Gough suggested that the problem was with libtool.
Although I was unable to build libtool from scratch on our AIX
system, I did learn through trial and error that GSL 0.9 built
fine if I simply turned off the shareable library features, i.e.,

babyblue.ucar.edu AIX 4.3.3:
setenv CC 'xlc'
setenv CFLAGS '-O -qmaxmem=8192'
./configure --disable-shared --disable-libtool-lock
make --jobs=1

works for me with AIX.

I also successfully built GSL 0.9 on our 8 processor compaq alpha
system. There, the shareable libraries built fine, but my executables
could not link to them at run time, and died with a system error
"cannot map libgsl.so". Once again, removing the shared libraries
did the trick, and the static libraries work fine.

prospect.ucar.edu ev6-dec-osf5.0 OSF1:
setenv CC 'cc'
setenv CFLAGS '-O2'
./configure --disable-shared

This suggests to me that some sort of installation hint be given to
user's of "exotic" systems that they try turning of the shared
libraries if GSL does not build or link correctly the first time.

Charlie
--
Charlie Zender zender@uci.edu (949) 824-2987/FAX-3256, Department of
Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100