Problem with Cygwin installation: FAQ?

I am trying to install/compile/run GSL v. 1.0 in the Cygwin environment
(most up-to-date version), gcc 2.95.3-5. This has created a series of
various problems and I have not been successful so far.

Cygwin is installed in c:\cygwin

GSL libraries, include files etc in c:\cygwin\usr\bin etc, binaries in
c:\cygwin\bin

Testing by using example programs from the manual (pages referring to PDF
format):

Page 40:        poly.c (finding roots of the polynomial)
Page 162:       random.c (testing a random number generator)
Page 266:       vanderpol.c (Vanderpol oscilator)

Using the mingw installation.
All programs compile well, but:
a. poly.c executes with no problem
b. random.c and vanderpol.c crash giving the message:

      0 [main] A 86798653 handle_exceptions: Exception:
STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
   1647 [main] A 86798653 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
RANDOM.EXE.stack
dump

I compile using simply
gcc -o random.exe -c random.c -lgsl -lm

I attach the programs. Any clues? In fact, I want to use random number
generators and ODE solver in my project, and these two have not compiled
well...
Thanks for a response in advance. If there is a reasonable FAQ that covers
the Cygwin installation, I would love to know where to find it. I tried to
compile GSL from the source under Cygwin (./configure, make, make install)
but run into horrific problems.
--
Adam Kleczkowski
Dept. Plant Sciences, University of Cambridge