RE: [off-topic] Intel's C/C++ compiler ...

Hi,
there can be an great difference between compilers, for example
I got a speedup of 1.5 when switching from lcc to MS Visual C++
(sparse QR routine for matlab), so I think the article may be valid.
However, they could have stated what compiler flags they where using!
It is hard to good benchmarking.

The only thing Intel can compete with in regard to MS Visual C++
(with MFC and other stuff) and gcc (free) is to produce good code.
Otherwise why should anyone buy it (except that is follows the C++
standard better then Visual C++)?

I made a quick search on the web and found related stuff;

"My preliminary results: Intel-generated code is 20% faster than what I got
from g++."
from http://www.coyotegulch.com/hpc/intel_1st_look.html

"* Will give a decent performance boost over Visual C++ " (refers to Intel C
5.0)
from http://www.oonumerics.org/oon/oon-list/archive/0073.html

"The other commercial compiler, Microsoft, is certainly respectable,
typically losing out
to Intel by only 11-13% (except for that P4 LAME result) in run-time speed"
from http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark.shtml?p11

Regards,
/Mikael Adlers

 Mikael Adlers, Ph.D.          email: mikael@mathcore.com
 MathCore AB                   phone: +4613 32 85 07
 Wallenbergsgata 4             fax:         21 27 01
 SE-583 35 Linköping, Sweden   http://www.mathcore.com