Compilation on IBM/SP

Dear GSL users,
This might be an esoteric problem of gcc on AIX, but this is what I find
when trying to compile using gcc on an IBM SP with AIX 4.3.3 (ASCI Blue),

At the very end, when it is ready to create libgsl.so.0, and It is
building with the command:
gcc -shared -o .libs/libgsl.so.0  version.o
.libs/libgsl.lax/libgslblock.al/init.lo
.libs/libgsl.lax/libgslblock.al/file.lo
.libs/libgsl.lax/libgslblock.al/blo
(....) lots of files here (....)
/libutils.al vector/.libs/libgslvector.al -lm
-lc  ${wl}-berok -Wl,-bnoentry -Wl,-bexport:.libs/libgsl.exp
ld: 0711-781 ERROR: TOC overflow. TOC size: 71248       Maximum
size: 65536
collect2: ld returned 12 exit status

I end up with that TOC ERROR.
In another mailing list, I find that this can be fixed by adding
-Wl,-bbigtoc to LDFLAGS:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-12/msg00509.html

So I go to the root Makefile, and edit it and add that to LDFLAGS= (which
is empty) and try to run make again, and the LDFLAGS do not appear in the
actual command. Where do I have to add those flags to make the compilation
work?

Thanks a lot,

Alan Aspuru-Guzik