program crashes with blas calls

I was able to solve my problem of how to give a gsl matrix file scope.  I
see that you just type "gsl_matrix *name" before the first function starts.
I found a snipit of code on the web showing how it was done.

But now I have another more serious problem that I would greatly appreciate
some assistance with.  I use windows XP and a version of gsl 1.3 compiled
for windows XP by bitwalk.  Everything seems to working fine and my program
compiles with no errors. But, when I run the program and it calls blas (to
do a simple dot product), execution stops and a windows error message pops
up saying that the program needed to close.  I am sure that I have typed in
the blas call correctly and that the vectors are fine.  Any ideas on why
blas would just crash my program?  It even crashes small little test
programs I made just to see if I could get blas calls to work.
John