Sparse matrices and iterative methods

Hi,

I found a couple of posts in the mailinglist archive about sparse matrices. At
that time it wasn't something under the consideration of being added to the
GSL. It was suggested that you could easily use other software/libraries for
this. I was wondering if the sentiment might have changed or maybe it's just
a case of nobody being able or willing to implement it? I would personally
like to see sparse matrix support and blas that can work with these, because
in the field of iterative methods it can make a huge difference. Using dense
matrices the largest systems my computer can handle is in the order of 5000
unknowns, because of the memory requirements.

Besides this I was wondering in general if the implementation of certain
iterative methods would be a welcome addition to the GSL? To me it would seem
logical that these mathematical routines don't have to be implemented by each
and every user, but are available in the library.

--
Matthijs