Re: Did *anyone* actually build GSL under Visual Studio?

yes, it _is_ possible-- we're doing so on a regular basis with Visual Studio 6 and a recent cygwin.

It looks like you're having problems with underscores on your symbols (there should be no leading underscore on the names in the .def files). We found we had to modify msvc/Makefile as follows:

update:
       nm --demangle usr/lib/libgsl.a > libgsl.nm.dat
       wc -l libgsl.nm.dat
       nm --demangle usr/lib/libgslcblas.a > libgslcblas.nm.dat
       wc -l libgslcblas.nm.dat

The --demangle option to nm removes underscores if gcc is generating them.

btw I have a wish regarding this. It would be nice if the code used a definition like:

#ifdef _WIN32
#define gslextern __declspec(dllexport) extern
#else
#define gslextern extern
#endif

for all exported functions. Then VS6 users wouldn't have to build the whole thing with gcc just to get symbol info. We just need a way of changing the 3000-odd function definitions :-)

James

Subject: Did *anyone* actually build GSL under Visual Studio? From: Mark Dunner <mark_dunner@yahoo.com> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:29:19 -0800 (PST) To: gsl-discuss@sources.redhat.com

Dear all,

Did anyone actually manage to build the GSL 1.4 under Visual Studio at
all? And possibly managed to build a test program against it?

After a lot of problems, I am stuck here

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gsl/2003-12/msg00011.html

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Mark