Re: preparing a new release (part 2)

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 06:14:41PM +0300, Andris Pavenis was heard to remark:

> -TESTS = test
> -
>  check_PROGRAMS = test
>
>  test_SOURCES = test.c

This is a really bad name for a unix prgram. For, on my machine

  which test

returns

  /usr/bin/test

I once had a second line manager who wanted to show off his programming
abilities. He wrote a demo program, and he went to show it off. And,
in front of 50 people, it didn't work. We all craned over the monitor
trying to figure out what was wrong (for it looked spotless).  Until
some wizened soul in the back of the crowd cleared his throat and
asked: "What did you NAME your program?" "I named it 'test'. Why
do you want to know?"

--linas