Re: question on GSL development

Hi, I'm a grad student at U of Montreal studying machine learning.

I understand that GSL has moved toward a system of adding *extensions*
to the base functionality that is complete.  I am working on an
extension to facilitate building and training neural networks (among
other things).

I have some code in cvs at savannah under the project name "Montreal
Scientific Library" for designing neural networks (differentiable
compositions of functions) in order to train them by gradient descent.
In the next few days I was going to commit a little demo of how to role
your own network, train and test it.

Your comments on my approach would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.nongnu.org/libmsl/

I was thinking about an approach for coding genetic algorithms, and I
concluded(IMHO!) that the cleanest way to provide generic tools for
solving GA problems and other problems in combinatorial optimization
would be to establish a framework for optimizing a function on a
*tensor*, the way the gsl_multimin_* routines optimize a function on a
vector space.

Gibbs-sampling would be one algorithm for this, a GA with given
recombination policies would be another, dynamic programming another,
and gradient-descent algorithms could be used too, when the values of
the tensor elements are highly correlated in neighbourhoods.

Maybe you, or someone else would like to comment on these ideas,
especially if you have some background in combinatorial optimization :)

James

--
james bergstra
http://www-etud.iro.umontreal.ca/~bergstrj