Re: new testing version 1.7.90

Sorry, but it doesn't work as expected.

$ ./configure
checking for ar... false
checking for ranlib... :
checking for strip... :

$ gmake
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/gsl-1.7.91/utils'
/bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..     -g -O2 -c -o placeholder.lo placeholder.c
mkdir .libs
 gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -g -O2 -c placeholder.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/placeholder.o
 gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -g -O2 -c placeholder.c -o placeholder.o >/dev/null 2>&1
/bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc  -g -O2   -o libutils.la   placeholder.lo  -lm
false cru .libs/libutils.a .libs/placeholder.o
gmake[2]: *** [libutils.la] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/gsl-1.7.91/utils'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

(the complete logs are attached)

Obviously ar and ranlib are necessary to compile gsl and configure should complain about it
the same way it does for a missing gcc :

$ export CC=ccc && ./configure
checking for gcc... ccc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
$

--
Stefan Gerlach

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 14:57, Brian Gough wrote:
> Stefan Gerlach writes:
>  > After defining RANLIB=granlib, AR=gar and MAKE=gmake "gmake" and "gmake
>  > check" works now.
>  > Shouldn't "configure" print out an error message if "ar" wasn't found?
>
> Can you try this update and tell me if it makes any difference:
>
> http://network-theory.co.uk/download/gsl/gsl-1.7.91.tar.gz
> http://network-theory.co.uk/download/gsl/gsl-1.7.91.tar.gz.sig
>
> If it still happens I'd like to see the complete configure output,
> config.log and the PATH.
>
> I've looked into the other errors on SUSE, they are from libtool but
> are just stray messages, they don't affect the compilation.
>
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... cat: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf:
> No such file or directory
>
> mkdir .libs
> mkdir: cannot create directory `.libs': File exists
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /software/bin/install -c
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether gmake sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether gmake sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /software/bin/install -c
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /opt/sfw/bin/gsed
checking for egrep... egrep
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/ccs/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking for /usr/ccs/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/ccs/bin/nm -p
checking how to recognise dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... no
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 262144
checking command to parse /usr/ccs/bin/nm -p output from gcc object... ok
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for ar... false
checking for ranlib... :
checking for strip... :
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... solaris2.8 ld.so
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
configure: creating libtool
checking for size_t... yes
checking for working volatile... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking for extern inline... yes
checking ieeefp.h usability... yes
checking ieeefp.h presence... yes
checking for ieeefp.h... yes
checking for vprintf... yes
checking for _doprnt... yes
checking for memcpy... yes
checking for memmove... yes
checking for strdup... yes
checking for strtol... yes
checking for strtoul... yes
checking for EXIT_SUCCESS and EXIT_FAILURE... yes
checking for cos in -lm... yes
checking whether feenableexcept is declared... no
checking whether fesettrapenable is declared... no
checking whether hypot is declared... yes
checking whether expm1 is declared... yes
checking whether acosh is declared... yes
checking whether asinh is declared... yes
checking whether atanh is declared... yes
checking whether ldexp is declared... yes
checking whether frexp is declared... yes
checking whether isinf is declared... no
checking whether finite is declared... no
checking whether isfinite is declared... no
checking whether isnan is declared... yes
checking whether log1p is declared... yes
checking for long double stdio... yes
checking for extended floating point registers... no
checking for IEEE arithmetic interface type... solaris
checking for IEEE compiler flags... none
checking for IEEE comparisons... yes
checking for IEEE denormalized values... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating gsl-config
config.status: creating gsl.pc
config.status: creating gsl_version.h
config.status: creating gsl.spec
config.status: creating gsl/Makefile
config.status: creating test/Makefile
config.status: creating err/Makefile
config.status: creating sys/Makefile
config.status: creating utils/Makefile
config.status: creating const/Makefile
config.status: creating min/Makefile
config.status: creating multimin/Makefile
config.status: creating ieee-utils/Makefile
config.status: creating fft/Makefile
config.status: creating specfunc/Makefile
config.status: creating dht/Makefile
config.status: creating fit/Makefile
config.status: creating multifit/Makefile
config.status: creating statistics/Makefile
config.status: creating sum/Makefile
config.status: creating roots/Makefile
config.status: creating multiroots/Makefile
config.status: creating ntuple/Makefile
config.status: creating poly/Makefile
config.status: creating qrng/Makefile
config.status: creating rng/Makefile
config.status: creating randist/Makefile
config.status: creating siman/Makefile
config.status: creating integration/Makefile
config.status: creating interpolation/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating block/Makefile
config.status: creating vector/Makefile
config.status: creating matrix/Makefile
config.status: creating histogram/Makefile
config.status: creating monte/Makefile
config.status: creating ode-initval/Makefile
config.status: creating cblas/Makefile
config.status: creating blas/Makefile
config.status: creating linalg/Makefile
config.status: creating eigen/Makefile
config.status: creating permutation/Makefile
config.status: creating combination/Makefile
config.status: creating sort/Makefile
config.status: creating complex/Makefile
config.status: creating diff/Makefile
config.status: creating deriv/Makefile
config.status: creating cheb/Makefile
config.status: creating cdf/Makefile
config.status: creating wavelet/Makefile
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged