Re: simplicity vs. efficiency of algorithms in GSL

My 2 cents:

I thought Brian's emphasis on ease of use and good documentation was
particularly important. IMHO, more than anything else that is what makes GSL
such a superb piece of work. It installs everywhere. It's easy to
understand, and
it simply works.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with the phrase
"just having everything", because I wouldn't want to see something like
root (root.cern.ch), which does indeed have everything...and it's
always sort of half
complete. That being said, including multidimensional quadrature is a good
idea, and there are definitely other things to be included.

And yes, a good quality C interface to LAPACK sounds fabulous.

There's no need to even mention NR, as I can't believe anyone really
takes that seriously anymore.

Take care,
Andrew