Re: simplicity vs. efficiency of algorithms in GSL

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 00:45 +0200, Daniel Franke wrote:

> F2003 Standard (final draft):
> http://www.j3-fortran.org/doc/year/04/04-007.pdf

> Does this help?

Yes. Thanks for the link. Note 15.18 makes sense, there's really
nothing else that would work. I'm more concerned with
Note 15.16, which reads

  "An element of a multi-dimensional C array is an array type,
   so a Fortran array of rank one is not interoperable with a
   multidimensional C array."

I'm note sure what this means. My understanding of the C standard
for data layout is that a multi-dimensional C array is stored
continuously in the obvious fashion. In other words, a multi-dimensional
C array is completely interoperable with a rank-one C array. So why
wouldn't it be interoperable with a rank-one fortran array? They're
both just the obvious continuous list of data. Anyway, this is
not a central issue; I'm just wondering what I am missing with
that statement.

--
G. Jungman