Re: using GSL with C++ (was Re: gsl container designs)

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, James Amundson wrote:

On 12/04/2009 12:36 PM, Brian Gough wrote:
At Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:54:46 -0700,
Gerard Jungman wrote:

Here are header files for a couple different approaches to containers.
Regarding the introductory points.

2a+b) While we may have had some kind of goal of supporting C++ I
don't think it's worth encouraging that today as the gap between the
languages has widened so much since the start of the project.

I, for one, use GSL almost exclusively from C++. When I'm not using C++, I am usually using Python. How are other readers of this list using GSL? Are you using a pure C environment, or do you use C++ and/or other languages?

I have no interest in debating the relative merits of various languages; I am just curious to know what is happening in practice.

I use C only. Consequently I come down in favor of using casts to type e.g. generalized tensor forms, because pointer-based indirection can lead to reasonably efficient, highly readable code (and because the GSL really needs a generalized tensor form -- the computational universe of interest to many scientists is not just one or two dimensional, rectangular, with indices starting at 0 or 1.

rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@phy.duke.edu