Re: gsl container designs

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 14:04 +0200, Tuomo Keskitalo wrote:

> Your design 1 looks very interesting. I don't think your designs would
> support banded and packed matrices, or would it? (see the last pages of
> "Legacy BLAS: C Interface to the Legacy BLAS" at
> http://www.netlib.org/blas/blast-forum/)

Thanks. It's been a long time since I looked at that document.

You are right; I have only considered the dense case,
purely from laziness. However, I think the banded and
packed cases can be handled similarly. One needs only
to define the indexing schemes to layer on top of
the (essentially universal) data structs. Finally,
add a syntactic layer, to inject appropriate names,
analogous to the syntactic layer that declares
vectors, matrices, etc.

At least, I think it is not conceptually difficult.
Maybe I am missing something.

--
G. Jungman