Re: Feedback from GSL folks on libflame 4.0

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Brian Gough wrote:

At Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:10:45 -0600,
Field G. Van Zee wrote:
Notice that we only use autoconf, not automake or libtool. Why is
using autoconf undesirable? We were trying to be good GNU software
citizens when we designed the build system.

Thanks for using autoconf. I think it is a good thing.

As a maintainer, I also like automake and libtool because they
standardise the build process and reduce the amount of code I am
responsible for -- if there is a problem, I just pass it over to the
automake/libtool maintainers.  Automake's "make distcheck" is also a
nice feature.

Yeah, I don't really think of them as optional these days. They are far from perfect and often a PITA, but what they do is necessary. And somebody takes care of them, so they usually aren't broken. The problems they solve are ugly problems; one can't expect an absolutely gorgeous solution.

Kind of a love/hate thing...

rgb

-- Brian Gough

GNU Scientific Library -