Re: Flat (uniform) random distribution and some development/contributionqueries

Further to previous message ...

> The functionality seems generic and useful enough that I was surprised
> not to find a library available.  Anyway, it seems like it would be easy
> enough to implement as part of GSL.  Is there interest in having this?
> If so, I'll map out a brief API description and/or sample code.

... yes, I _have_ read the part of the GSL website which says,

> To maintain stability, any new functionality is encouraged as packages,
> built on top of GSL and maintained independently by their authors, as
> in other free software projects. The design of GSL permits extensions
> to be used alongside the existing library easily by simple linking.

What I'd like to know is if there are any recommended practices for
making my work "friendly" to the GSL in the sense that it can be readily
incorporated back if/when it gets the necessary level of approval.
Questions would include,

   (i) Is it OK to have functions named along the lines of,

            gsl_mylib_func()

       ... as per typical GSL fashion, so that the API will remain
       stable if/when the code is incorporated into GSL?

  (ii) Are there any recommended practices related to VCS that will
       make it easier to incorporate a semi-independent project into
       GSL and preserve version history?

 (iii) What's the appropriate etiquette to follow regarding discussion,
       of the project status?  How much discussion can/should I make on
       this and other GSL lists, for example?  I would like the work to
       be developed in as close collaboration with the wider GSL
       community as possible.

Thanks & best wishes,

    -- Joe