Re: guile-emacs-0.1 released

      Symbols might be converted without waiting for
    strings to be done, but the interaction of Lisp dynamic bindings and
    buffer- and frame-local bindings and Scheme lexical bindings needs to
    be worked out.  (IMHO, Scheme code should see Scheme behavior unless
    it requests access to the current Lisp environment.

I don't think so.  That is not a useful behavior in the context of
Emacs.  To get useful results, we need to make the normal ways of
writing code access the local bindings of Emacs.

    And then there's variables restricted to specific types, and with
    side-effects in the C code.

These variables are just an implementation method, not a feature users
depend on.  I'm sure we could manage to implement the code that uses
these variables in some other way, if that will simplify matters by
avoiding the need for a special feature for such variables.