guile-gtk without dlopen (HP-UX)

Hello,

I'm trying to extend a C/Gtk+ program that I've written (gwave -
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~tell/gwave/index.html) to move parts of
its GUI into guile-gtk, leaving the core in C.

Things are fine on linux, but I'm having a great deal of trouble with
libraries and linking on HP-UX 10.20.  HP-UX is a unix with wierd dynamic
linking; using a function called shl_load() instead of dlopen(), so of
course libguiledlopenhelper is going to lose.

Pure-guile programs (like test-gtk.scm) fail if run  with "guile
-s" but do work fine if run with "guile-gtk -s"; the error message in the
former case is:

;;; WARNING (Cannot find library libguilegtk-1.2)
ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
ERROR: dynamic linking failed

So given all this, what is the right way to link a program that wants to
use Gtk+ both from C and guile-gtk, but on which dynamic loading of the
gtk module fails?

What works on Linux is to essentialy add "-lguilegtk-1.2" to the link line
(after checking for it with configure), but that produces the same
sort of failure on HP-UX.

I also tried using "build-guile-gtk libs" in configure, in the same manner
as the example configure.in does for examples/guile-foo, with the same
result.  There's no explanation of how that example is supposed to be run,
so I'm not sure if it is working for me or or not.  I'm not trying to wrap
any new widgets, so that example doesn't really apply anyway.

So, has anyone made guile-gtk work on HP-UX, or anyplace where
dlopenhelper and dynlink.scm don't work, or am I blazing new territory
here?    Could the dlopenhelper library be made to fall back on whatever
guile uses when HAVE_DLOPEN is not defined?

details:

HP-UX 10.20
gcc-2.7.2.2
guile-1.3.4
gtk+ and glib 1.2.6
guile-gtk-0.17

Thanks!
Steve

p.s. I've placed a rough preliminary snapshot of the guile-ified version
in http://www.cs.unc.edu/~tell/dist/gwave-guile-19991107.tar.gz, just in
case anyone really wants to look at it.

--
Steve Tell | tell@cs.unc.edu | http://www.cs.unc.edu/~tell | KF4ZPF
Research Associate, Microelectronic Systems Laboratory