Re: getting the size and origin of a GtkWindow

Russell McManus <russell.mcmanus@msdw.com> writes:

> I'd like to get and set the origin and size of a GtkWindow, that I've
> created in guile-gtk.  Is this possible?

Hmm, I don't think so.  How would you do this from C?  It is probably
easy to add the missing things to guile-gtk once it is clear in what
way the Gtk+ API wants to be used.

Hmm^2, the right way probably involves GtkAllocation which doesn't
exist in guile-gtk yet.  I don't think we want to add support for it
because it is too similar to a rectangle.

Hmm^3, [time passes] I just added a `cname' field option to
build-guile-gtk.  You can now say things like

    (define-object GtkWidget (GtkObject)
      (fields
       (uint requisition-width (cname requisition.height))
       (uint requisition-height (cname requisition.width))
       (int allocation-x (cname allocation.x))
       (int allocation-y (cname allocation.y))
       (uint allocation-width (cname allocation.width))
       (uint allocation-height (cname allocation.height))
       (GtkStyle style)
       (GdkWindow window)))

in the defs files and access the allocation.x field of a GtkWidget w
like so

    (gtk-widget-allocation-x w)

Nice and esay, eh? :)

Please update from CVS to get this change.  But I guess this is not
really what you want to have, right?

[ Maybe we should automatically translate dashes to dots in field
  names.  Dashes are illegal in C identifiers anyway... ]