Re: (Was: guile-gobject 0.3.0 Released)

On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 18:06, Neil W. Van Dyke wrote:

> Reasons for asking:
>
>   * I could not get the guile-gtk 0.21pre4 release to build against GTK
>     2 (1.3), and configuration code that appeared to be for GTK 2 was
>     disabled.  I had the same problem with CVS version.

the guile-gtk 0.2x series will only support Gtk+1.2.x

>   * Ariel's true love may be the full Gnome platform in all its glory,
>     and it may be asking too much of him -- or anyone -- to burden him
>     with separately developing and maintaining *non*-Gnome GTK bindings.
Yep. I do love GNOME. I see GTK as a part of the complete GNOME
platform. However I do know that most of guile-gtk
does not want to have GNOME installed.

What I'm planning to do? In the future we will have 3 packages:
-guile-gobject: The basis for all bindings. It is a wrapper for
glib and thus for the new gobject.

-guile-gtk2: Gtk+2 bindings for guile (maybe pango can come hear...)

-gnome-guile2: The complete GNOME platform bindings for guile.
It will contatin support for bonobo, corba, gtk+2, etc.

Following this scheme, you have to choose between guile-gtk2 or
gnome-guile2. If you chose the latter it will include the guile-gtk2
package.

I think this is the way to go =)

Any suggestions. Hope this clarifies the situation =)

ariel