Re: gnome-guile, latest cvs, gnomeConf.sh not found

I'm not a guile-gtk developer, but I spent at least two person-days
exploring the combinatorial explosion of different ways of building
guile-gtk (each time thinking I must be doing something wrong :), so
here's some recollections that may save someone else some headache:

  1. Unless the patch you mention is to make guile-gtk build against
     Guile 1.7.*, I believe you need Guile 1.5.*, which is labeled
     "branch_release-1-6" in CVS:

         cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/guile \
             co -r branch_release-1-6 guile/guile-core

  2. You will need a Gnome build environment -- not just a GTK one -- to
     run "autogen.sh" for guile-gtk.  (I had to install at least a
     couple dozen new Gnome-related libraries on my Debian Sid box in
     the course various build attempts, so I am not certain what the
     minimum subset of Gnome libraries you will need is.  If you're on
     Debian Sid already, the "gnome-common" package alone may be
     sufficient.)

  3. Though documentation in the latest guile-gtk release states that
     that it supports GTK 2 (1.3) in addition to 1.2, and you will see
     various support code for 2/1.3, Ariel has since clarified that only
     1.2 is supported now.

  4. Under GTK 1.2 and the Guile 1.5.* CVS versions I tried, some of the
     widget demos/tests result in runtime errors.  (These may be
     guile-gtk regressions due to Guile changes, so not necessarily
     guile-gtk's fault.)  Just, if/when you get runtime errors on the
     examples, don't worry that it's your fault.  If you have time to
     debug the causes, I'm sure Ariel would appreciate patches.

--
                                                        Neil W. Van Dyke
                                             http://www.neilvandyke.org/