mbstrings

The other day I noticed mbstrings.[ch] in the Guile distribution.
It looks like some half-written multibyte string support.

I think having two different representations of strings in Guile is a
bad idea.  Instead I think Guile should just define what it wants to
use internally (some encoding of Unicode, IMHO), and provide
convenient ways to convert to/from other encodings.  Nonstandard
encodings shouldn't be "strings".

I think mbstrings.[ch] and supporting code should be removed before
somebody starts using it.

Tom
--
tromey@cygnus.com                 Member, League for Programming Freedom