Re: Module Considerations

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@nada.kth.se> writes:
> There is some
> "pallette switching" byte version of Unicode, isn't there?

Never heard of it.  Older ISO standards use escape sequences to
switch character encodings, but Unicode is basically state-less.

Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com> writes:
> I tend to think that UTF-8 would be a good choice.  However I'm not
> fully aware of all the issues surrounding the choice of encoding.
> Still, isn't that what Java uses?

Java uses (a minor variant of) UTF-8 in class files.
However, internally String objects uses "UCS-2" - i.e. a fixed
16 bits per character.

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner@cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner