Re: mbstrings

Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:
> It's a strict subset of UTF-8, isn't it?

Except that the null character (not null byte as the JVM book
incorrectly says ...) is encoded with two bytes instead of one.
Thus you can have nul-terminated strings with embedded nuls.

> (I am off to Quantum Books tomorrow to purchase the Unicode standard,
> so I will be able to answer such questions with something better than
> rumors...)

It is not necessarily going to make much difference in what you do,
but it's a neat book to have and browse, with a lot of information.

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner@cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner