Re: mbstrings

jim>	I need to consult one more guru, but I'm leaning towards using 16-bit
	characters everywhere internally, and providing convenient conversion
	functions.

i've done that here with other tools that we use, but we use 32 bit unsigned
chars instead.... we use unicode for a good bit of information, it's just
plain simpler.

I have a tool (much like gnu recode) that converts between about 50+ different
encodings, to & from mule's *iso-8859-[1234]* and unicode and into MicroS**t's
RTF format so that we can send text for translation out to outside translators.

Why 32 bit? Well... 16 bit is unicode, and I choose to make 0x0..0xFFFF Unicode
and 0xFFFF0000..0xFFFFFFFF for 'franklin specific' things

The method has worked quite well so far.

-Duane.