Re: i18n; wide characters; Guile

I'm sorry; I was apparently happily working on something else the last
time this issue came up.  Thanks for being patient with me.

>Unicode will not be able to represent all of Hanzi/Kanji/Hanza (the
>ideographs).  The news coming from the Taiwanese committees let us
>assume they have another 30,000 ideographs and more to come.

This is insane.  I'm going to go become a gardener.

A friend who is familiar with East Asia And Its Issues tells me that
Taiwan uses the same characters as mainland China, except that the
mainland did a simplification of the written forms a few years back.
So the Taiwan/China/Japan distinctions are a font issue.  My friend
says he's got a dictionary of romanizations, and it just lists the
Taiwanese and Chinese forms of each character side by side; there's a
one-to-one mapping.

I assume that bringing in the Taiwainese characters will introduce a
few new characters, due to linguistic divergence over time, but it
shouldn't be that many.  There are more than ten thousand unassigned
character positions left in Unicode.

When can we expect a verdict on this from the Unicode consortium?