Re: Unicode?

Jim Blandy writes:

> >Unicode is the only international standard that has the momentum
> >behind it to become the new ASCII.
>
> "Everyone else is doing it," huh?  You're such a maverick. :)

Well, I believe in stealing where possible. Unicode tools, fonts,
etc. are available, and Unicode native support will be on lots of
platforms.

Also, frankly, there just isn't an alternative that I can think
of. The only competing ISO standard surrendered rather than
fight. Using multiple character sets just bites -- you want to use ONE
if possible -- and Unicode is basically the only thing there is.

> If Unicode has critical technical flaws, as Ulrich and my Japanese
> contacts claim, then I still don't want to use it internally.  I'm
> gonna be sorely bummed, though.  (ouch)

The Japanese, generally, dislike the Han unification in
Unicode. However, as has been pointed out, converting to and from
other Japanese character sets can be done from Unicode without loss of
information, so if the conversion is provided, this shouldn't be an
issue.

Perry