Re: i18n; wide characters; Guile

Shiro Kawai <shiro@sqush.squareusa.com> writes:

> Is it such simple?  I don't know about Taiwanese and Chinese, but
> in japanese, we did simplifications on some characters and it's
> not one-to-one mapping: sometimes several different characters
> are mapped onto one simplified character.  And occasionary people
> need to use old-style characters, too, so JIS code included both
> old-style and new style characters.

You should probably take a look at the rules of the Unicode committee
to make the Han unification (sorry, I should better say CJK
unification :-).  Many Japanese didn't excepted this unification and
one prominent professor (I forgot his name, he was a big name on the
Tron project) used his position to fight against Unicode.  But
meanwhile it seems ISO 10646 get accepted.

-- Uli
---------------.      drepper at gnu.org  ,-.   Rubensstrasse 5
Ulrich Drepper  \    ,-------------------'   \  76149 Karlsruhe/Germany