Re: eval-string

Someone must have taken it out, possibly by mistake.  I'm sure they
will post some answer to your question.

Meanwhile:

    Bill> It was a scheme function.  Do you have any idea what could
    Bill> be used in it's place?

I'm not sure what it would do at the Scheme level, since it is not in
the R4RS standard nor in slib.

But guessing that you want to evaluate the expression that's stored in
the string, I would try something using (read ...) and SLIB's string
ports.

Here's an example:

guile> eval-string
#<primitive-procedure eval-string>
guile> (eval-string "(define x 2.2)")
guile> x
2.2
guile>

guile> (eval (call-with-input-string "(define x 3.3)" (lambda (port) (read port))))
guile> x
3.3
guile>

PS: I just noticed that call-with-input-string is a primitive in
Guile, so you don't need the use-modules and require stuff.

PPS: eval is not standard scheme either, but there is one provided in
SLIB just in case you want your code to be portable to other Scheme's
in the future.