Re: Portability and more...

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Mark Galassi wrote:

>     Scott> It looks like guile only exists on UNIX right now. Is there
>     Scott> an effort to put out an NT port? I am not much of a fan of
>     Scott> NT, but I am looking at using it within a portable
>     Scott> application.
>
> Anthony Green has already ported Guile to NT using cygwin32, and maybe
> even with native NT tools.  I'll let him answer since he's on this
> list :-)

Unfortunately, cygwin32 doesn't play well with the Sybase libraries
yet...although from what I understand there is a new linker on its
way that should resolve these problems.  Like I said, if a native
port doesn't exist, then it may be worth my while (and my boss'
while) to put some effort into the port, of course giving back
whatever changes we made.

>     Scott> threading library and I would like to give each thread an
>     Scott> instance of a guile interpreter.  Are there any re-entrancy
>     Scott> issues I need to concern myself with?
>
> Yeah: that's a problem.  Take a look at the archive of this mailing
> list to see if the (many) threading discussions have addressed that
> issue.  I think the consensus was that you need to run a single Guile
> interpreter.

That's kind of a bummer...I really wanted each thread to have
its own name-space.  I'm thinking, though, that I may still
be safe giving each thread its own interpreter, since I can
guarentee (with a little work) that a context switch will not
occur while an interpreter is running.

I'll go the archive and see what I can find.

>     Scott> Lastly, I am looking at using guile within a
>     Scott> quasi-commerical application (in a tool for use by my
>     Scott> consulting practice) and I was wondering if there has been
>     Scott> any discussion about moving to the GL-GPL (the GNU Library
>     Scott> General Public License) rather than the existing GPL?
>
> Actually Guile is licenced under the Guile GPL.  This has an extra
> exception which probably covers your situation:

Great!  Thanks for the information.

-scott

--
Scott C. Gray                 gray@voicenet.com     "my keybard is brken"