Re: guile startup speed and cvs distribution?

Jens-Ulrik Petersen <petersen@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp> writes:

> two questions:
>
> 1) I imagine this has come before, but it seems to me that guile is
>    not very fast at starting up.  On my Sun Ultra 1 workstation
>    guile-971030 takes a good noticeable moment to prompt me, whereas
>    with scheme48 and scm the prompts come up almost immediately.  This
>    also slows down the startup of scwm.  On my little i486 Linux
>    notebook at home: it takes a good number of seconds for guile-1.2
>    to startup interactively, and scwm-0.5 takes ages. :-(

Hobbit installs a compiled version of boot-9.scm, this helps a bit
with the startup time:

With original boot-9.scm:

time guile </dev/null
0.94s user 0.03s system 100% cpu 0.968 total

With compiled boot-9.scm:

time guile </dev/null
0.33s user 0.03s system 99% cpu 0.361 total

This was on an AMD K5 P133 running Linux

You can find Hobbit for Guile at
ftp.red-bean.com:/pub/guile/contrib/misc

--
	Istvan