Re: Repost: gh_enter prototype

Dirk Herrmann <dirk@ida.ing.tu-bs.de> writes:

> Something more general about the bug-guile mailing list:
>
> Meanwhile I have sent a couple of mails to bug-guile, but only once got a
> reply. I know that 'everyone is just busy coding', but from a users
> perspective this is disappointing: If a user doesn't know whether some
> problem is being fixed or has been fixed in some snapshot, he is not
> motivated to put any effort into it by himself.
>
> BTW: Tracking down bugs and preparing a good bug report already _is_ some
> effort. Everyone who has tried to provide a smallest possible piece
> of code to reproduce a problem knows that it can take quite some time.
>
> To make things clear: It's not that I am expecting some 'hooray, a bug
> report, you are our hero, thanks a lot' kind of thing. But some
> information of the kind 'we know about it, but have no time to do it, what
> about you?' or 'someone is working on it' or 'has been fixed since August
> 1863' would be nice.

If I judge that a bug report is easy to handle, I usually handle it
immediately.  If I judge it to be more complex and I don't have time
to handle it myself I do nothing and hope that someone else has time
to deal with it.  I can't send a message "we don't have time to handle
it" because maybe somebody else has.

This is of course an unfortunate situation, but given the current
resources (volunteers) it would probably not be possible to maintain
better coordination than this.

But please don't interpret this as if your bug-report has been
neglected.  It hasn't: I store all unhandled bug-reports, and I think
others do as well.

No answer simply means: "No one has had time to deal with it yet."

Best regards,
/mdj