Re: Portability and more...

gray> On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Mark Galassi wrote:
gray> >
gray> >     Scott> It looks like guile only exists on UNIX right now. Is there
gray> >     Scott> an effort to put out an NT port? I am not much of a fan of
gray> >     Scott> NT, but I am looking at using it within a portable
gray> >     Scott> application.
gray> >
gray> > Anthony Green has already ported Guile to NT using cygwin32, and maybe
gray> > even with native NT tools.  I'll let him answer since he's on this
gray> > list :-)

Yes, I have Guile built and running under Win95 with VisualC++.  The
code patches are pretty clean; it's the build process that needs some
thought.  I used the IDE to build it, but the Makefiles and such are
completely different from the unix ones.  This is bad.  A MS tools
build of Guile should indeed use the MS make program, but it would be
best if it were generated automatically from the Makefile.am files, or
something like that.

gray> Unfortunately, cygwin32 doesn't play well with the Sybase libraries
gray> yet...although from what I understand there is a new linker on its
gray> way that should resolve these problems.  Like I said, if a native
gray> port doesn't exist, then it may be worth my while (and my boss'
gray> while) to put some effort into the port, of course giving back
gray> whatever changes we made.

If you are serious about this, perhaps I can give you what I have and
we can clean things up together.

AG

--
Anthony Green                                               Cygnus Solutions
                                                       Sunnyvale, California