gh_defer_ints documentation?

What exactly is gh_defer_ints() useful for?  It is called by the tutorial
program, but I can't find much documentation on it, except that it
"disables Guile interrupts."  Why is Guile interrupting my code, and will
gh_defer_ints make much difference in runtime for a function that takes a
long time to run?

Are the interrupts so that Guile can do garbage-collection?  If so, should
I worry that objects I create in my C program will be swept out from under
me before I get a chance to pass them back to my Guile program?  I presume
that this isn't the case, since such an important item would surely have
been noted in the docs...but it does make me a little nervous.  I wish the
documentation were more complete.

Thanks for any pointers!

Cordially,
Steven G. Johnson