Re: build-guile [fwd: g-wrap-0.3.9 configure problem]

chrislee@lavash.ius.cs.cmu.edu writes:

> --Multipart_Fri_May__8_11:36:01_1998-1
>

> Dominique gave me permission to post his message here.  I am trying to
> help him set-up G-Wrap to configure correctly for his Guile
> interpreter (note that he is using guile-core-980111 under Solaris).
> My configure.in script uses build-guile to determine link flags (using
> the configuration code Mikael Djurfeldt sent to me -- thanks!), but he
> is still having some problems with ./configure missing a couple of
> libraries for linking.

Yeah, build-guile only returned correct libraries for libguile's
configured for threads until 19980418 when this problem was fixed.
(Maybe I should have warned you earlier about this, sorry...)

> Also, if my understanding of what happened to him is true, it looks
> like build-guile may not be supplying all the necessary '-l...'
> flags (though it may be due to the old version of Guile).

This is the case (old version of Guile).

> ps.  I rarely get answers when I post to guile@cygnus.com.  Is my
>      netiquette OK?

Absolutely.

The situation is this: Recently, activity has been steadily increasing
on the guile list.  I would guess that more and more people are
currently beginning to use Guile.  But many are still beginners.  Few
people have yet gained enough experience with Guile to answer all
kinds of questions.  Among those who are experienced with Guile, there
is still the problem of time...

For example, I'm trying to work on my PhD.  I spend too much time on
Guile already, so I try to answer only those questions that have some
connection to pieces of code that I have written myself.  (I also
usually only write code which I need in my work.)  I think this is
reasonable, since we should try to share the burden of supporting
Guile.  Some people who have earlier posted lots on this list are
currently working heavily with the GNOME project.

With time people gain experience with Guile and start to help others.
Already people like Maciej Stachowiak, Karl M. Hegbloom, and now
you yourself :-), do a good job supporting others.

>  >     setenv LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH /lib32:/usr/lib32:/usr/local/lib32:/usr0/space/lib32:$HOME/lib:$HOME/lib/g-lib
>  >     setenv LPATH $LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH
>  >     setenv LIBRARY_PATH $LPATH
>  >
>  > which seems to take care of the problem for me (the lib32 stuff is
>  > just weird IRIX stuff).
>
> I understands this solves the problem for you and me because we have
> built the shared lib, but if someone works with static libs only, it
> does not work!

Hmm...?  If I remember correctly, LIBRARY_PATH is an environment
variable telling gcc where to look for libraries.  This should be
equivalent for the shared and static case.  Also, my guess is that
LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH is the same as LD_LIBRARY_PATH on many other
systems.  This tells ld where to look for shared libraries.  In the
static case no such path is needed since the code is already linked
into the binary.  So, I'd say there is no need to worry about the
static case.

>  > I also put any special customizations which ./configure should know
>  > about in $HOME/share/config.site and tell configure to look for this
>  > information by setting this in my .login:
>  >
>  >     setenv CONFIG_SITE $HOME/share/config.site
>
> Ok, this may be useful but may be too complex for the average user.
> May be the solution is to add an option to specify the guile install
> path.

configure also has an option which you can use to specify where things
should be installed, e.g.:

  configure --prefix=/home/mdj

tells the Makefiles that things should go into

  /home/mdj/bin
  /home/mdj/include
  /home/mdj/lib
  /home/mdj/share
  etc

during installation.

>  > It sounds like it should return something like "-lguile -lsocket -lnsl
>  > -ldl".
>
> No, build-guile link returns -lguile only.

As I mentioned above, this was a bug in Guile.  It is corrected in
snapshots after 19980418.  (Please tell me if it still doesn't work!)

Best regards,
/mdj