using both Guile 1.2 and 1.3?

I would like for my program to work with both Guile 1.2 and Guile 1.3, but
I am having trouble because of the API changes.  (I have to use Guile 1.2
because the  Guile 1.3 build didn't work on my machine; also, I will have
an easier time convincing administrators of the machines that I use to
install an "official" version than a beta.)

I approve of the new function names in Guile 1.3 (e.g. gh_list_length ->
gh_length), but they make it difficult for me to support both Guile
versions.  Is there a preprocessor symbol I can use to see if I am
compiling with Guile 1.3?

(Maybe the Guile developers should consider #define'ing the old symbols to
the new symbols in Guile 1.3, so that older programs aren't gratuitously
broken.)

Cordially,
Steven G. Johnson