Re: build-guile [fwd: g-wrap-0.3.9 configure problem]

>> (BTW, does automake generate make -j compatible makefiles?)

Mikael> Tom Tromey is the one who knows.  But I've made the
Mikael> observation (pre 1.3) those times I've used the -j option that
Mikael> it seems to have no effect.  I'd guess that the dependencies
Mikael> in automake generated Makefiles have been such that make can't
Mikael> run things in parallel.

It is an explicit goal of automake that the generated makefiles work
with `-j' (of course, the user can always break this in the
Makefile.am -- but that is outside automake's control).  In fact, -j
support is a big reason for some of the bizarre code you see in
automake-generated Makefiles.

If you find an automake-generated Makefile which fails with -j, please
report it as a bug.

Currently GNU make doesn't pass -j down to sub-makes properly.
E.g. if you use "make -j3" at the top level of the guile tree, then no
"-j" will be passed to a make invocation in a subdir.

This effectively defeats the usefulness of -j for many automake-using
packages.  Bummer.

It might work if you just use "-j" (infinite parallelism), but I've
never tried it.

The GNU make maintainer knows about this problem and has a scheme to
fix it.  I don't know if he has implemented it yet or not.

Tom