Re: emacs.scm missing

dale.smith@bellhow.com (Dale Smith) writes:

> I want to use emacs with guile, and have found the guile interface at
> red-bean.com, and it works well enough.  When I call guile with --emacs, I get
> a message about a missing emacs module.  Can't seem to find it anywhere.
>
> There are tantalizing comments in the ice-9/ChangeLog referencing emacs.scm,
> so it's gotta be *somewhere*.
>
> Or is it sooo secret that if you showed me, you'd have to kill me? :)

That's about it.  >-)

Well, well, the truth is that I once upon a time made a prototype of
an Emacs interface.  The idea was to test how it would feel to work
with the features I had had in mind.  The real interface would then be
used by students here at KTH.

It turned out that I hadn't time enough to write the real interface.
Instead I had to, within a few days, convert the prototype into
something that could be used as a course environment.

The result was a terrible monster of ugly code, which turned out to be
quite nice to use.  Since then, I've maintained the Guile-part of this
interface, "emacs.scm", at the repository with the hope that, some
day, I or Jim or somebody else would have time to implement the real
interface.

I suppose the main reason why I haven't made this public is that I
have some vague idea that I *can* write well-structured code, and that
there is *some* correlation between the principles I teach in computer
science and my own coding.  I'm simply terribly ashamed of having
produced a beast like that...  :(

But since it is useful, and since I realize now that I probably won't
have time to do anything about it this summer either, I'll let go of
it as it is.

Please give me a couple of days so that I can write some minimal
documentation and wrap it up into a tar archive.  I'll write to you
and to the list when it is possible to download it from the
repository.

/mdj