Re: emacs with guile instead of elisp

    What sort of efficiency issues are there?  Currently guile takes a
    long time to read in source code, and unexec is fast but very
    limited.

unexec is general enough to dump whatever we load into Emacs.  We
would surely not stop using unexec in Emacs, just because of replacing
the Lisp interpreter.

If Guile is slow at reading programs, this may be something that needs
improvement for the sake of all uses of Guile.  Perhaps that is worth
working on first, before dealing with Emacs Lisp translation.
However, Jimb is the expert here.

In general, I think it is best to work first on getting Emacs Lisp to
run in Guile, by means of a Lisp-to-Scheme translator, and only
afterward begin thinking about putting Guile into Emacs.  Each of
these is probably a big job, and I recommend undertaking such big jobs
one at a time.